Quote of the Day

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ouucchh.. it pains!!


A friend's SMS last night brought in a great surprise. It was about a net practice session in Kinrara grounds, one of the best International Cricket Grounds in Malaysia. It was the ground where India, West Indies and Australia played DLF Cup a Tri Series in Sept 06. I was unaware of the real surprise that was in store for me. I was told a great deal of effort had gone in booking the nets which was reserved for the Under 19 Malaysian Team. Since I didn't have the right attire for the game the first thing I did was to go and purchase cricket spikes and white T shirt from Carrefoure, not far from my place. A cab was arranged to pick us up at 11:30am. It happened as expected that half the team were not present even after the cab had arrived. Being on time had a different meaning to those guys. Since I was new to this cricketing group I was being told about the how the team was wacked in previous encounters with a company in Singapore. The opponent team had feasted long before the official banquet!!

When I stepped in the ground I was awe stuck by the way the ground was maintained. The picture above explains it all. I'm playing real cricket after a gap of over 7 years and getting cramps and muscle pull all over my body was understandable. Since my forte was bowling I was happy with the ball. I didn't want to try batting as I had the fear of the ball. I wasn't mentally prepared but I had to when guys asked me to pad up. I miss timed most of the shots but I enjoyed playing. Then came the dreaded delivery!! Good Length.. pitched on the off side.. good pace... hit the bat.. top edged and straight ON TO THE FACE.. Yes my face!!

For 2 or 3 seconds everything blacked out. I could see the guys coming towards me but I couldn't hear anything. When I was gaining consciousness the first thing I checked was that my teeth was all in place. I could feel them wholly with my tongue. Relieved I thought at least its not as bad as it could have been. I could feel the swelling on the left cheek just below the eye. It pained when touched. I feared a fracture on the cheek bone. Guys around told me there was a small cut and it was slightly bleeding. I went to the wash room to have it washed with running water. The cold water in the freezer was a great help. As I looked at my face in the mirror.. it felt like seeing a boxer who has just finished a bloody bout.... swollen face with a cut that's bleeding. In the silence I came to realise what went wrong.. Before stepping into the nets I made sure every sensitive part of the body was protected but I didn't realise my face and head was uncovered. I didn't wear the helmet! It was lack of precaution. If I had the helmet this could have been completely avoided. I must say I'm a bit lucky this time. The ball hit right at the spot where it is an inch below the eye and left side of the nose. If it happened on either of them it could have been a totally different story now. As I was resting I understood things are different now than in school or college. If something serious happens and I'm medically grounded it could affect not only me but people around me. I have responsibities. I had to be safe than sorry. Its a wake up call and I learnt a lesson today.

Things are OK now after taking the medicine the doctor had given. The swelling has reduced a little and not much of pain too. The ice bag and anti inflammatory ointment has helped in reducing the swelling but there is a heavy black spot on the place where the ball hit... something like in cartoons when a person is hit in the eye! The doctor tells it will become normal in 2 weeks. I feel very tired and doing all the medication by myself is irritating. I wish there was someone to help me. I'm missing home now!!

3 comments:

Sunny said...

This comment is very late but I remember you sharing this with me. This is definitely a swashbuckling experience...haha

SD said...

Can you send me your new number? Tried calling you few times in the past 3 months. This is Sunny!

David :) said...

So when are you joining IPL. We need players like you who can be gutsy and take risks.