Quote of the Day

Friday, November 09, 2007

Diwali in Kuala Lumpur

Needless to stay this is first Diwali away from family. But the hospitality of good friends and their family made me feel at home. My Diwali started with a soft voice calling me by full name.. "Jayakrishna.." followed by load banging on the door. It was the voice of my house owner I realised and as I gained consciousness from sleep I dragged myself to the door. I opened and there was none. I found no one in the hall and her room was also locked. I thought this was yet another weird dream. I went back to bed and I heard the banging again. Irritated this time I opened the door and there was my house owner.. in traditional South Indian festive attire with a big box of Ferro Rochers! She gave them wishing me for Diwali and told me I should take "oil bath" before the sun came out as that was the custom. It may have been rather demanding but I felt it more of a motherly command. I obliged. In the morning exchange of wishes through SMSs were no different from what I used to have back home. Then breakfast was at Rudra's place with his roommates watching a so called comedy movie "BORAT" (Not my kinda comedy!). I had to leave in half of the movie as Naga and his mother had invited me for lunch.. a full course South Indian meal.. which I really enjoyed. Pankaj and his wife Nishi arranged for evening get together along with some lovely home made sweets and savories. I was touched by all of their warmth and love. For someone one who is away from his home and home country in search of some unclear dream this is how it is. I'm away.. but not alone I realised.

In Malaysia Diwali is a celebrated grandly and its a National holiday. Brickfields has a ten day market with evening stage shows. It is a place to "check out" the Romeos and Juliet's of Malaysian Tamils. Open houses are held at various places. According to Wikipedia " 'Open houses' are held where Hindu Malaysians welcome fellow Malaysians of different races and religions to their house for a sumptuous meal. 'Open house' or 'rumah terbuka' is a practice very much unique to Malaysia that shows the goodwill and friendly ties practised by all Malaysians during any festive occasion." It was the most silent Diwali for me so far. Very few sounds of crackers were heard. Bursting crackers are banned by Govt here. Fireworks are only during Govt functions and New Year. I was born in a place called Sivakasi.. which boasts of the highest number of cracker manufacturing units in India. I have close relatives there and every year they would send us the best crackers for free. During school days on Diwali friends would wait for me and my elder brother in the ground as we would have the best variety of crackers. I still get these back home but now its my cousin who enjoys the pride with his friends. To me Diwali is always a time to get back with street friends and have some cheap fun trying out innovative ways to explode a coconut shell or cracking the wall around the ground using the "Atom Bombs"!!

Diwali brings back many such memories that will always remain close to my heart. Now that is history and I can only think of them with a feeling that I'm glad that it happened. To me Diwali will always be festival of light and love.