Quote of the Day

Thursday, August 23, 2007

182 days completed!

Is it only me that's feeling this or do you feel the same too.. time flies! I feel like every phase in life passes very quickly, often so quickly that I'm surprised. It seems to me like it was only a few days back I packed my clothes and left Chennai though now its 6 months already. I have completed 182 days of stay in Malaysia... without family.. without friends with who I grew up.. without the very essence of Chennai.

For many who thought I cant be away from the above three this is definitely a jaw dropper! I was one of them to think like that initially when I accepted the job offer. Living has definitely not been easy since then and I have come to realise thats how life is going to be henceforth.

For me completing this 182 days within Malaysia means a lot. I'm now a tax-resident in Malaysia. This is not to be confused with a Permanent Resident. The status gives me the eligibility to claim the excess tax money I have paid, which is 25% of my monthly earnings, so far. Now I have to go through a long and tiring process of claiming it back. Also I do not owe anything to my employer incase I quit now.. A sigh of relief.. hehe! Home is always on my mind. This is the first time I have stayed so long away from home. The last time I did it was 25 days. In March 2006 I decided to rent a place somewhere in Chennai and stay away from home for sometime. Took a place at Valasaravakam and as each day passed staying there alone was literally getting me mad. The street dogs too were totally unfriendly. On the 25th day I said enough of this garbage and left the place for good. This time I made up mind of not planning to run away like that. I have learnt a few things that my mom always wished I knew.. washing my clothes and keeping my place tidy... Though cooking is still a challenge. Whatever I get here can never match the comfort I had in Chennai!