Quote of the Day

Monday, December 17, 2007

I'm Safe.. Dont Worry

This post is in response to the concerned hearts that wants to know how I'm doing in the wake of the latest protests in Malaysia. You have probably heard about the issue by now… Something that has, for the last 150 years, been a domestic issue is now gaining International audience. I'm talking about the fight for rights by ethinic Indian Community in Malaysia. Good friends have been so far calling or emailing to know if I'm OK amidst this chaos. Yes I am indeed!! There is nothing to worry for me (atleast for now) as the protests are for Malaysian Indians and not Indian expats like me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I fear the situation would get worse.

I thought it makes sense to talk about the history of this issue now. It dates back to Pre Independence days of Malaysia when the British rulers brought people from India to Malaysia as plantation workers. Malaysia is a multi racial country consisting of three major communities: the Malays (also called as Bumiputras), Chinese and Indians. After Independence many of the policies and quotas of the Government were designed to help the Malays improve their chances economically. Chinese dominated in trade as they were technically far ahead of the Malays and Indians. Indians became an oppressed community. The present protest by HINDRAF is for an amendment in policies and against the British Imperial rulers who ruled them earlier. They are demanding a whooping US $ 4 trillion. Unbelievable but true. Incase, like me, if you didnt know how many 0s this figure would have a simple calculation reveals that if this sum is paid then every single Malaysian Indian would become millionaires!! Whether the Indians would get this amount or not one thing for sure is that HINDRAF has made a mark. Looking at the time and manner in which the protest is made it looks to me like there is a political motive to it. On the other hand the ruling Government is trying its part to paint a picture that would make HINDRAF an exremist group. According to Government sources the HINDRAF group is believed to have terror links with LTTE another banned tamil extremist group in Sri Lanka. Last week the top 5 HINDRAF members were arrested under ISA. Untill the elections next year the situation will remain tense and I'm getting prepared for the worst if I may have to stay here till then.

Closing quote: Indians maybe a minority group but that does not make them a weak group. Lot needs to be done to change this mind set. A self change is required before seeking International court of Justice.

No comments: