Quote of the Day

Monday, September 24, 2007

An absolute thriller.. fitting climax!!

I'm writing this just a few minutes after watching India lift the Twenty20 Cup


India beating Pakistan at the finals of Cricket's first ever big game of the shorter version. None can ask for a better climax to the hugely entertaining tournament. A dream final with twists and turns and that ending in India's favor. It was a edge of the seat thriller till the finish with either team having the chances to snatch the Cup. Ultimately it was a billion hope that prevailed over a hundred million in the first ever Twenty20 World Cup .

I watched this match amidst a crowd of over 100 people at a packed Indian restaurant late in the night here in Kuala Lumpur. I have personally not felt this kind of excitement watching Cricket in the last 8 years. A sudden sharp feeling of excitement ran over my nerves when Sreeshant shattered the stumps. I got up the chair and started moving around frantically during the last over of the match. I got goose bumps watching the Indian team go around the ground with the tri-color after winning. The crowd of Indian supporters started shouting for all the dot balls India bowled. A few Pakistanis present there never attempted to make the slightest noise even when their country batsmen smacked over the ropes in the final overs as a frenzy Indian mob totally outnumbered them. A Malay-Indian friend of mine told me that he read somewhere that India's patriotism feeling is at its best during an India-Pakistan match than even on its Independence Day. I think thats absolutely true. Matches like these get the true patriotism out of Indians. I think I didn't get lucky like those who were sitting on the sands of Marina watching this match in Chennai. The crowd makes the difference.

The newer version of the game has taken the major teams by surprise. Proteas unexpected exit from the tournament; Kiwis and Oz surprise losses; The Tigers shaking the confidence of many top class teams; All South Asian final. The uncertainty in the game is what has made Twenty20 so popular. The match can swing any side within a few balls. Twenty20 has all the elements to make it entertaining like football. Who said Cricket is long and boring?

This is India's most successful performance since the 1983 World Cup final. Dhoni has made the Dev-il act in his first ever assignment as a Captain. Our neighbours didn't get a chance to relive the 1992 World Cup moment. Being an ardent cricket fan since 1992 my greatest moment in cricket is to watch India lift the world cup. I think I got to see it in this life time. Not sure when again I would get to see this. Who knows maybe after 20 years I might mutter "when are we going to see another Dhoni's marvel.. why don't you guys learn from mistakes?"

For me this was the first time I got so involved in a match after Azharudhin left the game. My interest in the game was completely lost when Azhar was convicted for match fixing. This tournament has only revived it after seeing many promising talents rising to the occasion. But I have always felt Indian team and consistency is synonymous with peace and Kashmir. I think this present team can prove it all wrong. Hopefully the perks that they are now going to get, back home, shouldn't spoil their burning spirit to win. Dhoni has already been named for one of the most prestigious award in Jharkhand. Quoting MSN "The Board has announced USD 3 million for the team and Rs 15 lakh each for the support staff while Yuvraj Singh will get Rs 1 crore for hitting six sixes in one over." Another important thing to watch out for is the transformation from window breaking mob to cheering supporters.. that's Indian cricket crowd for you!